Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Salvation Army plans mass aid for Christchurch


Only hours after the devastating earthquake that hit Christchurch, the Salvation Army announced that it was planning mass action in terms of people, resources and money to assist those whose lives have been torn apart.

The 6.3 magnitude earthquake wreaked havoc on New Zealand’s second largest city, with the death toll being estimated at 65, and with dozens others trapped in fallen buildings. There was significant damage to the city buildings, including the iconic Christchurch Cathedral which collapsed into a central city square (see image).

The quake struck at 12.51pm (local time) on Tuesday afternoon afternoon, and by that afternoon the Salvation Army had already organised temporary housing and other services for over a 1000 afflicted citizens.

“You just cannot imagine the enormity of this [quake] compared to the first one,’ said Major Rex Cross, emergency services coordinator for The Salvation Army in Christchurch.

“Food is on its way and people will be fed,” he confirmed, saying that supplies should feed around 1500 people.

The Salvation Army National Fundraising Coordinator (NZ) Major Robbie Ross said that experience from the previous quake showed that people needed psychological and spiritual support, as much as they needed material aid.

“Our experience with the September quake showed us the great emotional shock such an event can have on people–and now there is the added dimension of some people grieving for loved ones.

“There will be a myriad of material needs by those who have lost possessions and homes. We are appealing for cash donations to strengthen our response,” he stated.

The Salvation Army has issued a call to Christians throughout the globe to pray for the victims of this natural disaster.