Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas in Iraq: Church behind walls


Christians in Iraq continue to live in fear after months and months of killings and intimidatory tactics by extremists. Reports say that almost 2,000 Christians have fled from major centres like Baghdad and Mosul in fear for their lives.

One of the measures taken by the Iraqi government to protect its Christian citizens is to build concrete walls of up to 10 feet high around churches in to protect Christmas worshippers from being targeted.

The police will control various access points for Mass-goers with scanning equipment as a further measure to ensure protection. Normal Christmas celebrations such as parties in church halls or parks have also been scaled back on the advice of Church leaders.

It is hoped that these security measures will prevent a repeat of the October 31st massacre at Baghdad’s Syrian Catholic Cathedral of Our Lady of Salvation, where 58 people were killed and more than 70 others were injured.

Speaking from northern Iraq in an interview with Catholic charity Aid to the Church in Need (ACN), Archbishop Bashar Warda of Erbil said, “The sadness of the people is everywhere. Uncertainty is everywhere. The question on everyone’s lips is ‘What’s next?’”

“There is a kind of desperation. But whatever happens, the people are determined to celebrate the Christmas liturgy by any means possible.”

Describing the concrete barriers and associated security measures as “making you feel you are entering a military camp,” Archbishop Warda nonetheless praised the government for taking steps to improve security.

The archbishop said that government officials had spoken to Church leaders asking if they wanted the security walls around their churches. While most of these leaders approved the plans, others refused saying that they felt the measures would only further intimidate an already fearful Christian community.

Aid to the Church in Need last week announced a series of emergency aid packages for displaced Christians fleeing to the north and east of the country, with ongoing support for refugees in neighbouring Syria, Jordan and Turkey.

The charity agreed to send $33,300 to provide Christmas food packages for displaced Christians in Zakho, which borders Turkey and Syria.

Other ACN help includes $20,000 for the victims of the October 31st massacre and their families plus a further $13,300 for displaced Christians arriving in the northern and eastern Iraqi cities of Kirkuk and Sulaymaniyah.

Archbishop Warda said, “ACN’s help is being welcomed with joy by the people. They feel very grateful and they are encouraged by the fact that they are being remembered by others more fortunate than themselves.”