Monday, November 28, 2011

Oxfam warn climate change will worsen food shortages


In a report issued at the beginning of the UN climate talks being staged in Durban, Oxfam have warned that surges in food prices caused by storms and droughts could be a "grim foretaste" of what lies ahead when climate change worsens.

The British charity reminded delegates that recent spikes in wheat, corn and sorghum prices were triggered by extreme weather.

The effect of this drove tens of millions into poverty over the past 18 months.



"This will only get worse as climate change gathers pace and agriculture feels the heat," insisted Oxfam's Kelly Dent.

"When a weather event drives local or regional price spikes, poor people often face a double shock.



"They have to cope with higher food prices at a time when extreme weather may have also killed their livestock, destroyed their home or farm, or stripped them of their livelihood.



"This toxic mix of higher prices and lower purchasing power has driven many people into crisis this year," said Dent.



"If we don't act in Durban, this pattern could become even worse."



Oxfam explained exactly how these price hikes were affecting the poor.



"For the poorest who spend up to 75% of their income on food, price rises on this scale can have consequences as families are forced into impossible trade-offs in a desperate bid to feed themselves," it said.



"More frequent and extreme weather events will compound things further, creating shortages, destabilising markets and precipitating price spikes, which will be felt on top of the structural price rises predicted by the models."

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Created in Joy! Created for Joy!


I am an avid reader. I tend to devour everything that piques my interest - just at the moment I am reading Walter Isaacson's biography on Steve Jobs. It has been of the most engaging, and saddening, books I have read in a long time.

Steve Jobs seems to have been a person who had a few very 'rough edges'. Whilst I can certainly see elements of enlightenment in his character and desire, there are some very aspects of his person (most frequently expressed in his fears and behaviour) that show that in spite of enlightenment he was a rather tormented and unhappy person.

I suppose that in some senses success comes at a cost - in this case the cost is real closeness to other people. While there is little doubt that many people admired (and still admire) Steve Jobs for his vision and drive, there is also little doubt that there are many who have been left in the wake of an unrelenting and even destructive personality.

In contrast to what I am reading in the Isaacson biography I came across this beautiful quote from Frederick Buechner, the American born writer and theologian:

"God created us in joy and created us for joy, and in the long run not all the darkness there is in the world and in ourselves can separate us finally from that joy, because whatever else it means to say that God created us in his image, I think it means that even when we cannot believe in him, even when we feel most spiritually bankrupt and deserted by him, his mark is deep within us. We have God’s joy in our blood." (Frederick Buechner).

Indeed, I can see aspects of 'driveness' in my own life. Those who know me will testify to the fact that I am quite a driven person. Once I have a particular goal in mind, or an aspiration toward which I am striving, it tends to occupy my mind and direct both my actions and my thoughts.

For example, I had been working on my doctoral research for about two and a half years when one day a catastrophe occurred - in an attempt to keep up to date copies of my working file (the actual text of my dissertation) I accidentally copied an old version of my work over the latest versions. Of the 4 completed chapters (out of 6) in my doctoral thesis I lost 3. Basically all I had left was my research proposal, which would later become the first chapter of my thesis.

As you can imagine I was devastated! After much anger, disappointment, disbelief and more anger, I made a choice: I said to myself that I would give this project one last effort. I decided to wake up each morning and work from 4am to 6.30am every day of the week (7 days) until I could not do it anymore. I kept to that discipline and ended up completing my dissertation in just over a year. I was consumed by the desire to complete it.

However, I have been working very hard in recent years to be transformed from being driven to being called. It is a subtle, but significant distinction. Driven people do things for themselves. Called persons respond to an invitation from another. I am attempting to live far more as a person of calling, on who is dedicating his life to a vocation rather than a career.

This reminds me a great deal of this quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer, whose biography 'Bonhoeffer, Pastor Martyr, Prophet, Spy', I read last month:

"Vocation is responsibility and responsibility is a total response of the whole man to the whole of reality." (Dietrich Bonhoeffer).

As I have taken this delicate and often painful journey of living in spite of my weaknesses and brokenness I have discovered a great deal of blessing and joy. I am beginning to become much more accepting of the truth that I was created in joy, and created by God for joy!

__________
Dr Dion Forster is an ordained Minister of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa. He is a theologian and author. He was formerly the Dean of the Seminary of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa, John Wesley College. He currently serves as a consultant and spiritual adviser / Chaplain to the Global Day of Prayer and Unashamedly Ethical movements and their founder, Graham Power. You can read Dion's blogs on www.dionforster.com.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tutu urges support for 'extraordinary' Climate Change Concert


Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu has urged South Africans to join world faith leaders, political leaders and music stars at an “extraordinary” mass rally and afternoon concert on November 27 at the King’s Park Stadium in Durban.

The Archbishop is to host the “We Have Faith - Act Now for Climate Justice” rally and concert, at which he will lead a call to world leaders attending the COP17 climate change talks in Durban that they should reach a fair and legally binding agreement to curb climate change.

Musicians including Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Yvonne Chaka Chaka, Arno Carstens, rap star HHP and Kenyan Gospel rapper Juliani have confirmed they will perform at the rally, which will be free. The COP17 talks start in Durban the day after the rally.

Faith leaders including Pope Benedict XVI, Chief Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks and Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, have also been invited. Those who cannot attend have been asked to send video clips of support.

Environmental campaigners and motivational speakers Lewis Pugh, the “human polar bear”, and Braam Malherbe, a 50/50 presenter, will be among the many who will address the crowd.

“Apartheid seemed an overwhelming challenge that could not be defeated but we mobilised and defeated it. We need the same passion and determination to defeat climate change,” says Tutu.

“Climate change is an even greater threat to us than apartheid was, because as temperatures rise, millions of Africans will be deprived of water and crops. This will cause enormous suffering. It is something we simply cannot allow.

“In the face of such a huge threat, many of us feel numb and throw up our hands, believing we can’t make a difference. But we can make a difference - come to the rally. It will be an extraordinary event. And if you cannot come, please sign our petition on www.wehavefaithactnow.org. We want to have over one million signatures on these petitions at the rally to hand over the world leaders.

“Along with the many other faith leaders in the campaign, I appeal to you all - don’t hesitate to join us. Your support could help make a world of difference in keeping our planet cool.”

At the rally, Archbishop Tutu will hand over the petition to COP17 Chair, South African Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, who has confirmed she will attend to receive it.

UNFCCC executive secretary Christina Figueres has confirmed she will attend the rally, and President Jacob Zuma is among the many key politicians who have been invited.

The “We Have Faith” petition calls on world leaders to commit to a fair, ambitious and legally binding agreement, for a renewal of the Kyoto Protocol, and for funding to help Africa adapt to climate change.

Learners from dozens of schools throughout KwaZulu-Natal will also participate in the rally, presenting environmental-themed posters and messages to the leaders and performing song-and-dance numbers.

The faith leaders participating in the campaign are reiterating scientists’ predictions that that if greenhouse gas emissions are not curbed, by the end of the century average world temperatures will rise between 2˚C and 4˚C, and up to 6˚C in parts of Africa.

Climate change is already causing unpredictable, extreme weather across the
world, they say. Large numbers of people, especially in Africa, are struggling to survive amid increasingly severe droughts, floods and other disasters. Although Africans have done very little to cause climate change, they will be among the most devastated. A new climate change treaty is crucial to prevent enormous suffering and loss of life.


The rally starts at 2pm. Doors open at noon, and there will be local entertainment until 2pm. The event is free and all are welcome! However, as a safety and security precaution, tickets will be required to enter the Rally. Tickets will be available from November 11 at The Shark Tank Shop, the Diakonia Council of Churches and various other organisations ahead of time.

Tickets can also be collected on the day at the stadium ticket office.

For more information, log on to www.wehavefaithactnow.org, follow the campaign on Facebook (“We Have Faith - Act Now” community) and Twitter (“COP17ActNow”). Watch the YouTube video of Archbishop Tutu’s call to people to sign the petition, on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEcOT34ORXE &feature=feedu

For public queries about the rally, contact: The campaign Faith Secretariat on (031) 310 3500 / 3512.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

South Africa’s ‘Secrecy Bill’ passed despite fierce resistance


Widespread opposition failed on Tuesday to prevent South Africa’s National Assembly passing the highly controversial Protection of State Information Bill.

The Bill has been challenged since its inception due to the many question marks surronding its constitutionality.

The Bill includes a Secrecy Law that gives up to 25 year jail sentences for anyone holding classified information; removes any protection for whistleblowers; has no public interest clause; and has no independent appeals mechanism.

The ANC dominated 400-member House voted the Bill in with 229 in favour and 107 against, despite opposition parties using every process available to them to halt it.

The Bill has been halted before but was pushed back onto the floor by the ANC after a sham public consultation this weekend that was only announced on Friday evening.

Avaaz.org described it as a “draconian bill that puts a shroud over government and undermines South Africa's hard won freedoms.”

Congress of the People leader and former ANC minister Mosiuoa Lekota raised concerns that the African National Congress would, like the apartheid state, suffer the shame of jailing journalists and whistleblowers who alerted the public to wrongdoing.

"I shudder to think that the men and women who say that money is being stolen will be locked up in the name of the African National Congress," he asserted to loud applause from the opposition benches and a packed public gallery.

Democratic Alliance parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko vowed that her party would continue to fight for incisive amendments to the Bill in the second house, and if that process failed to petition President Jacob Zuma not to sign the bill, but to send it back to Parliament.

"But if this bill is signed into law, I will lead an application to the Constitutional Court to have the act declared unconstitutional," Mazibuko added.

SA National Editors' Forum (Sanef) chairperson Mondli Makhany said that editors were "broken inside" over the Bill.

"All of us here, we are broken inside," Makhanya who was surrounded by the editors of some of South Africa's largest news organisation.

"We never thought we would come here dressed in black to witness the Constitution of our country being betrayed by those who built it."

Makhanya also vowed to continue battling the Bill with every possible resource at his disposal.

"We believe as Sanef that it was a sad and tragic day in the history of our republic."

Monday, November 21, 2011

Treasure our children, urges Archbishop


The leader of the global Anglican communion, Dr Rowan Williams, has urged Christians to pray for the world's children.

The Archbishop of Canterbury made this call on The World Day of Prayer and Action for Children, which has the backing of UNICEF, Religions for Peace, and Save the Children.

The day stands as a reminder of what a treasure children are within our communities and how they all deserve to grow up in loving and safe environments.

"In every faith community, our children are the treasure that we value beyond price," said the Archbishop.

"A child born into health and safety is a sign of hope in our common life. In children we recognise the preciousness and dignity of the human being as well as a vulnerability which calls for our care and protection.

"

The main focus of this year's day of prayer is to put an end to violence against children.

In line with this, the Archbishop insisted all forms of violence against children demand action and prayer and mentioned specifically those children caught up in situations of armed conflict.

"I met children who had suffered unimaginable horror, attacked, abducted, forced into brutalising ways of life - and yet, amidst the anguish, I also encountered precious flames of hope, where local churches and communities strove to protect and restore the lives of their children," he said.

"Many said to me: 'The church never gave up on us.'"

The Archbishop was also deeply impressed with the determination of communities to keep rebuilding their schools after the destruction wreaked by conflict.

"They said that their children and their children’s future were far too precious not to act, and act again," he said.

"I urge us all, in churches and other faith communities all around the world, to unite in this World Day of Prayer and Action for the protection and flourishing of our children.”

Friday, November 18, 2011

Geron halt embryonic stem cell trials


Geron Corporation, a major research company based in California, has halted clinical trials using embryonic stem cells to focus on cancer research instead.

A press release by Geron states the decision was made “after a strategic review of the costs, value inflection timelines and clinical, manufacturing and regulatory complexities associated with the Company’s research and clinical-stage assets.”

The decision has been met with disappointment by pro-choice organisations and embryonic stem cell researchers.

“Geron’s decision was driven by private business considerations,” insisted the Rev. Dr. Carlton W. Veazey, president and CEO of the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice (RCRC).

Veazey said that Christian and Jewish members of the RCRC “strongly endorse life-saving research with stem cells from embryos that would otherwise be discarded by the individuals who created them for infertility treatment.”

Dr. Timothy J. Kamp, professor of medicine and director of the Stem Cell and Regenerative MedicineCenter at the University of Wisconsin, was also left disappointed by the news.

“The decision is a disappointment to most in the field because Geron has been a pioneer in advancing this promising research to clinical applications and completing a first clinical trial would be a milestone,” said Kamp.

“Researchers will continue to be driven by the scientific results to make progress in advancing new therapies using whatever cell sources are most effective,” he added.

“In some cases, there remains strong rationale for using human ES cells as a promising cell source, so I expect that work will continue.”

In stark contrast, pro-choice groups saw Enron’s decision as a victory.

Americans United for Life’s staff counsel Mailee Smith argued that the decision was “a blow to proponents of destructive embryo research.”

“Once again, researchers utilizing cells from destroyed embryos have failed to advance any cures or treatments,” said Smith.

“Geron was the first company to attempt human clinical trials using embryonic stem cells. Its failed attempt to produce any results could chill further requests to attempt such risky and unethical research.”

Dawn McBane, bioethics analyst for the family advocacy organization CitizenLink, also believed this was a “huge victory” for pro-life activists.

“Pro-lifers have been saying for years that embryonic stem cell research is a dead-end road for research – from a scientific, financial, and ethical standpoint,” said McBane.

“Even though Geron was unconcerned with the ethical problems of killing young human embryos, the overwhelming unlikelihood of getting useful treatments out of embryonic stem cell research eventually led them to reconsider their efforts.”

Both Smith and McBane added that adult stem cells, or stem cells that are not harvested from human embryos, were a much more worthy investment in terms of research.

“There are no treatments or cures using embryonic stem cells, yet there are over 70 cures and treatments using adult stem cells,” said Smith, insisting that adult stem cells “hold the key to medical advancement.”

“Not only do embryonic stem cells not work … adult stem cells continue to demonstrate that they are capable of treating dozens of diseases and injuries for thousands of patients around the world,” said McBane.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

New York churches throw open doors to Occupy Wall Street protesters


After being evicted from Zucotti Park by local police, Occupy Wall Street protesters have found a new place to sleep in churches around the area.

The Middle Collegiate Church was one of the churches who gladly threw upon their doors to welcome the protesters in.

"This is what we do," said Jacqui Lewis, senior minister of the church. "It's not new to us."

"We're going to try to recharge their batteries," she said. "The Gospels have such a clear mandate for how we’re supposed to treat one another."

The church said they could accommodate around 75 protesters, and would also offer bagels in the morning.

Lewis added that she hoped the Occupiers will be allowed to have their tents and sleeping gear back so they can continue their work.

Another church who offered a place to sleep for protestors was the Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew.

"We’re doing it because that's what a church is supposed to do," said Giovanny Mondesir, assistant building manager.

Mondesir was unhappy that the New York city decision makers had evicted the protesters from camping near the World Trade Center.

"They’re trying to do something great for all of us and they're being kicked out,"he said, before adding the church would offer the protesters sandwiches and rice as nourishment during their stay.

"We’ve been getting a lot of positive remarks, especially about our reverend [James Karpen]," who came up with the idea to house the demonstrators, Mondesir added.