Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Scientists believe 'God Particle' could be found by 2012


Scientists in charge of the research being carried out through the Large Hadron Collider at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) have informed the press that the existence of the sub-atomic "God particle" should be decided by the end of 2012.

Physicists have long wondered about the possibility of the particle, also known as the Higgs boson particle, which is a hypothetical massive elementary particle whose existence would resolve inconsistencies in physics. If this particle does exist, it would help explain how all matter in the universe comes to have mass. This would also complete the puzzle for the Standard Model of physics that was first established in 1970, a theory that explains the Big Bang.

However, scientists have not yet been able to find proof to support the existence of the Higgs boson. Yet interestingly enough, at the International Europhysics Conference on High-Energy Physics in Grenoble, France, researchers recently presented some curious data bleeps that could hint at the existence of this particle.

“This experiment is one of the most significant of this third millennium,” said Dr. Karl W. Giberson of the BioLogos Foundation.

Giberson described the LHC experiment an “extraordinary event for Christian to contemplate” and believes it could lead to further experiments that will one day answer our deepest questions regarding the universe.

“What is most exciting in this experiment is that it lets us push back a bit closer to that mysterious moment almost 14 billion years ago, when our universe emerged in the Big Bang,” Giberson said.

“What the LHC might demonstrate is a piece of the grand puzzle: where does mass come from? If Christians can embrace the Big Bang theory, instead of inventing odd and implausible reasons to reject it, they will be drawn into a most wonderful world of grandeur that will greatly enlarge their concept of God."

(Image shows the Hadron Collider at CERN)

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Norway killer labels self as ‘cultural Christian’


Anders Behring Breivik, who has admitted to killing approximately eighty people and injuring many others in a violent rampage across Norway, on Monday pleaded not guilty to charges of terrorism. Breivik informed Judge Kim Heger that he believes the killings were necessary.

“What the court understands (is) the accused believes that he needed to carry out these acts in order to save Norway and Western Europe from among other things cultural Marxism and Muslim take over,” Heger stated after the hearing.

The 32-year-old Breivik posted a 1,500-page manifesto online shortly before the killings where he argued that Marxism and Islam are growing threats to Norway and Europe. Breivik said he had been planning the attacks for years and hoped the massacre would help to market his manifesto.

Breivik wrote of his admiration for the Knights Templar, who he described as “a defensive military organization who only seek to protect the peoples of Europe and our cultures from genocide.” The Norwegian hoped this group would lead the revolution to save Europe from Marxist and Islamic influences.

Breivik has been labelled as a “Christian terrorist” or “Christian fundamentalist” in some sections of the media because he identified himself as a Christian on his Facebook page. In the manifesto, however, Breivik insists he is more of a ‘cultural Christian,’ writing:

“If you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God then you are a religious Christian. Myself and many more like me do not necessarily have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God. We do however believe in Christianity as a cultural, social, identity and moral platform. This makes us Christian.”

Monday, July 25, 2011

Norway Shooting: Killer wants his day in court


The man alleged to be responsible for Norway’s horrific killing spree, Anders Behring Breivik (pictured), where at least 93 people are believed to have been killed, will appear in court on Monday and wants the world to hear his side of the story there.

Breivik has confessed to the bombing in Oslo and the mass shooting at a youth camp on Utoya island, but still denies any criminal responsibility.

Instead, the man labelled by the press as an ‘evangelical Christian’ is expected to plead not guilty in court, telling his lawyer the atrocities had been "gruesome but necessary.”

Breivik claimed he "wanted to start a revolution in Norwegian society to defeat liberal immigration policies and the spread of Islam."

It has also come to light that Breivik published online a 1,500-page manifesto hours before he began his killing spree. In this document, he refers to attending events organised by the far rights movement, The Knights Templar.

Breivik also said he had been planning the attack since 2009, while ranting against European liberal elites whom he believes betrayed their Christian heritage by promoting multiculturalism.

Breivik has also in the past blogged about his disgust for the modern church, saying:

"Today's Protestant church is a joke. Priests in jeans who march for Palestine and churches that look like minimalist shopping centres. I am a supporter of an indirect collective conversion of the Protestant church back to the Catholic."

Friday, July 22, 2011

It is becoming harder for Israelis and Palestinians to forgive, admits Christian leader


Patriarch Fouad Twal, the leader of Jerusalem’s Catholic community has admitted it is becoming harder for Israelis and Palestinians to coexist and easier to “demonise” each other, against a backdrop of constant conflict and distrust.

“An entire generation of Israelis and Palestinians grew up witnessing and experiencing violence, occupation, separation and hatred,” he said.

“There have been fewer and less opportunities to interact, and a heightened suspicion and apprehension on both sides persist.

“It is harder to forgive and strenuous to start a constructive dialogue,” he added.

Speaking at a conference on the situation facing Christians in the Holy Land held in London, Patriarch Twal mentioned that youth in particular were suffering as a result of the conflict and that hope was being “shattered”.

He fears that the possibilities for a just solution were “rapidly decreasing”, while extremist forces were gaining more and more followers.

The Patriarch also challenged Western Christians to “connect and be in communion with” Christians in the Holy Land and to “come and see” the situation for themselves.

“Share in their joys and suffering, bear their burdens with them, reflect and consider your responsibility towards your mother church,” he added.

“The Christian presence is threatened by virtual extinction, and the land of Jesus cannot become an equivalent of a spiritual Disneyland with beautiful buildings, historic sites and museums on display,” he said.

“All people - Jews, Christians and Muslims suffer the consequences of the conflict. Occupation is a terrible image for any democratic State, as it is horrible for the people of the occupied areas, where hatred and aversion are fostered and nurtured.

“We are aware of the persecution and suffering of our Christians in some Muslim countries in the region, but this is not an excuse to forget the dire reality of our situation in the Holy Land.”

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Zondervan dismisses concerns over ‘Murdoch Bibles’


The Christian book and Bible publisher, Zondervan, is presently owned by Harper Collins, which is itself a subsidiary of News Corp. News Corp is of course at the centre of the phone hacking scandal alongside its founder Rupert Murdoch and his son, chairman of News International, James Murdoch.

Zondervan’s link to News Corp has been strongly critiqued in major US news outlets like the Houston Chronicle and USA Today. Blogger Will Braun was one of those who wrote debating the ethics of buying Bibles from a publisher that is owned by Murdoch.

“For those us of [sic] who care about the Christian scriptures, what are we to make of this mix of billionaire media tycoonery, allegations of phone hacking and bribery, and the Holy Word of God?" he said.

“What are we to make of the fact that every time we buy a Zondervan product we contribute to Murdoch’s mogul-dom, which includes a personal fortune that Forbes pegged at $6.3 billion last year.”

Zondervan responded to these concerns through spokeswoman Tara Powers.

"This does not present an ethical dilemma for Zondervan as we will continue to operate with autonomy as we always have,” she stated.

"We are fortunate to have strong and positive relationships with our authors. They know who Zondervan is and how we operate and we have not heard of serious concerns from authors.

“While we are obviously aware of the matter at hand, it does not distract or detract from our work at hand and we will continue to pursue our mission and operate as we have for the past 80 years."

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Human rights violations in Sudan are ‘appalling’


Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) has joined its voice to those urging an investigation into the "appalling" human rights violations in Sudan’s South Kordofan.

A leaked UN report has horrified human rights groups the world over. The report investigated the human rights situation in South Kordofan and found that the government of Sudan has been complicit in the execution of suspected supporters of the ex-rebel Sudan People's Liberation Movement of the south and ethnic Nuba in Kadugli.

The report accused the government of aggressively obstructing UN peacekeeping forces in the area after an outbreak of violence on June 5.

Furthermore, civilian areas have been attacked and there is some concern that chemical substances are being used.

The report accuses both sides (north and southern Sudan) of violating the terms of the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement but emphasises that the conduct of the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) has been "especially egregious". 



"Instead of distinguishing between civilians and combatants and accordingly directing their military operations only against military targets, the SAF and allied paramilitary forces have targeted members and supporters of the SPLM/A (Sudan People's Liberation Movement and Army), most of whom are Nubans and other dark skinned people," it read.

The report condemns Northern forces of "violent and unlawful acts" against the UN peacekeeping forces, and the summary execution of a UN national staff member.

The report recommends that perpetrators are brought before the International Criminal Court.

"Not for the first time the Sudanese regime has unleashed unspeakable violence against its own citizens in a manner that is at the very least comparable to the events that precipitated international action against the Gaddafi regime," said CSW’s Special Ambassador Stuart Windsor, adding that the report was further confirmation of the "appalling" human rights violations taking place in the area.

"It is deeply worrying that the international response remains so muted, given mounting evidence of possible war crimes targeting a specific people group.

"CSW reiterates its appeal for immediate and robust international action to end the current violence, and fully endorses calls for an urgent international investigation into events in Southern Kordofan with a view to bringing identified perpetrators and planners of human rights abuses before the ICC."

South Africans serve each other on Mandela Day


Millions of South Africans celebrated Nelson Mandela’s 93rd birthday yesterday, on a day that has become internationally known as Mandela Day.

The day urges people around the world to take concrete action in service of others and play their part in changing the world for the better.

Mandela has retired from public life, but has given his blessing to this day because it puts into concrete action the ‘Madiba’ spirit. Mandela continues to challenge younger people to take up the fight for a fairer, more peaceful world.

“It is time for the next generations to continue our struggle against social injustice and for the rights of humanity,” he said. “It is in your hands.”

Mandela spent 67 years of his life fighting for the rights of humanity, and so people are asked to dedicate 67 minutes of their time on Mandela Day to serving their community and helping to build a global movement for good.

Millions of South Africans across the country got involved in doing something for others.

Archbishop Tutu, as Chair of the Elders group of leaders, yesterday asked people to get involved: “On his birthday, Madiba has asked us to do something, not for him, but for our fellow human beings.

“Join us in marking Mandela Day by celebrating our collective power to do good for others and making the world we share a happier and fairer place.”

Mandela's wife and fellow founder of The Elders, Graça Machel said: “Mandela Day is a chance for each of us to do what we can for the human family that Madiba cares so much about.

“It is a beautiful way of recognising that we can all do good, that we have love and kindness in our hearts and that we can all make a difference to the lives of our neighbours.”